Charbot'sLife

The randomness, The woman, The legacy

September 02, 2005

Karaoke

I love karaoke. Yes, I will admit it. I love to sing Pat Benetar, Def Lepperd, and Aretha Franklin off-key in front of people.

I have yet to explore the karaoke scene in G-Rap. It does have some big shoes to fill. The Irish Immigrant on a Tuesday night in Seattle where my ladies and their men and I lived out our need to be the center of attention is the BEST kareoke bar I have been to.


Here's Ang, me, and Amanda on our way to an evening of fun and singing at a local kareoke bar.

Tuesday nights @ 10pm local college students majoring in drama, music, and performing arts, among others would pile into the small tavern prepared to drink some beer and sing some songs. Ahh...one of the greatest combinations ever.

People would dance, flirt, laugh, drink. It's good times.
My favorite would be the people who were turning 21. They would stumble up to the stage followed by the group of friends, grab the mic and scream, "I just turned 21!" in a drunken slurred voice. Haven't we all been there before. This would be followed by the crowds response of "Woo!Yeah!Happy Birthday!etc" (well, they wouldn't yell etc....but...ah..you know what I mean.) They would sing some song that would be barely recognizable due to the drunken stupor they were in. It's the most fun.

I don't know why the Asian culture loves karaoke BUT they have some great bars as well. One of the best I have experienced is Busch Gardens in P-town, OR. Groups of Japanese men and women would take over the entire bar and restaurant on kareoke night. Here is how these groups of people would roll with kareoke.
One or two people would go up and sing and a group of six OTHER people would be back-up dancers punching and kicking in the air. You could not help but get into the song (which was sung in Japanese) and sing along what you could. They were just so much fun and everyone loved having them sing despite the language barrier.
I am telling you...if you haven't been to your local karaoke bar find one near you and get our butt up on that stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home